Sunday, December 28, 2008

Old Style Fantasy - Fletcher Pratt, A Merritt, Hope Hodgson etc.

I'm drawing to the end of my fantasy shelves, though there are probably more mixed up in my Science Fiction section of the bookcase, which I'll get to fairly soon.

This post will display covers from old fantasy writers like A Merritt, Fletcher Pratt, L Sprague de Camp, Charles Finney and William Hope Hodgson.

I did read all these books at one time or another, but not for years, so I can't tell you much about them. I'll let the covers speak for themselves. The Dwellers in the Mirage cover should delight all giant squid fans. These editions were all published in the early 1970s by Collier (Moon) and Futura.

merritt_moonpool merritt_abyss merritt_dwellers

Next Charles Finney's Circus Of Dr Lao and The Unholy City published by Avon and Panther.

finney_circus finney_unholycity

The following edition of The Nightland, a wondrous strange fantasy by William Hope Hodgson, first published 1912, is the 1979 Sphere Books edition.

hodgson_nightland

And finally, a couple of books by Fletcher Pratt and L Sprague de Camp.

wall_of_serpents well_of_the_unicorn
Next - various interesting or unusual fantasy novels

No comments: