Sunday, March 15, 2009

Science Fiction 12 – Kathleen Ann Goonan, Stuart Gordon and Robert Graves

This morning I just finished rereading Kathleen Ann Goonan’s The Bones of Time, a futuristic novel set in Hawaii. It’s not a bad read at all, with an interesting plot, likable characters and dealing with nanotechnology, which I admit fascinates me. Queen City Jazz was her first novel and also features nanotech. I recently reread it and enjoyed it very much. I intend to seek out its sequels Mississippi Blues, Crescent City Rhapsody and Light Music.

goonan_queen city goonan_bones

Jeff VanderMeer recommended The Smile on the Void by Stuart Gordon, though unfortunately I can’t remember much about it. It’s been a while since I read it. I do remember when I ordered it from Alibris it was just before 9/11 and its delivery was delayed for several weeks.

gordon_smile

Another curiosity is Robert Graves Seven Days in New Crete, which is described on the cover blurb as “a classic science fantasy novel of a future civilization doomed by its own sterile virtue”. I can’t remember if I’ve ever read it.

graves_newcrete

That’s it for authors whose names begin with G.

Next will be Elizabeth Hand and M John Harrison

No comments: