Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Crime Fiction 12

"He was the Poe of the Twentieth century, the poet of the shadows, the Hitchcock of the written word." Francis M. Nevins Jr., Cornell Woolrich historian and biographer.

I found the above quote at a Cornell Woolrich fan site and it aptly describes the suspenseful novels of the so called godfather of noir fiction. I did a bit of research on the net before writing this post and came to the conclusion that Cornell Woolrich was obviously a very strange man, as are his books.

The editions displayed below were published by Ballantine in the early 1980s. I love the noir retro covers. Cover artist not credited.

woolrich_phantomlady

woolrich_blackalibi woolrich_blackangel
   
woolrich_blackcurtain woolrich_blackpath
   
woolrich_nighthas1000eyes woolrich_rendezvousinblack

woolrich_vampireshoneymoon

That’s it for crime fiction. Next I will be displaying my small collection of occult and horror books.

1 comment:

Will Errickson said...

Some of my favorite paperback covers ever are these Woolrich reprints! So cool.